About Tokyo Academics:
Tokyo Academics is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics from around the world. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends to a growing number of part-time and full-time individuals located in Tokyo, as well as working remotely. We are an organization of experts deeply passionate about helping students meet their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
We are looking for a driven and passionate individual to lead our research division. The Research Division Manager is responsible for leading a team of research mentors who support high school students through their novel academic research projects. Furthermore, the Manager leads our team of laboratory instructors who teach hands-on science classes and private lessons to students aged 8 to 18 years old. The Research Division Manager works closely with external partners and programs to provide truly one-of-a-kind research opportunities for the Tokyo Academics community and beyond.
*Visa sponsorship is provided for exceptional overseas applicants looking to relocate to Japan.
What you will work on:
- Teach high school research students, both online and in-person
- Teach elementary and middle school lab students
- Teach research division classes
- Lead team of research mentors across STEM, Humanities, and Social Science disciplines
- Lead team of virtual assistants, curriculum developers, and other remote support staff
- Train new instructors and manage performance of existing instructors
- Work closely with Recruiting team to expand Research team
Marketing and Sales:
- Meet with new and existing clients to sell research division services, as well as provide customer service
- Work closely with Marketing team to promote high school research projects, lab services, and the IYRC using a variety of digital and print resources
- Track income, expenses, and KPIs
- Work closely with Financial team to set short- and long-term strategies for division growth and development
- Facilitate lab services for elementary and middle school lessons and classes, as well as high school research projects
- Manage inventory, order supplies, and facilitate a variety of laboratory instructions.
- Direct and strategically plan IYRC programming
- Support other non-profit projects via the IYRC platform
- Serve as editor-in-chief for the IYRC and facilitate publication process
- Meet with external partners, such as university student organizations
Our ideal candidate:
To conduct this job successfully, the Research Division Manager should be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
- Educational Background:
M.S. or PhD in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology or similar degree in the life sciences
- Professional Background:
3 years of research experience
At least 1 year of experience in management
At least 1 year of teaching experience in the life sciences
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google suite
- Strong command of English
- Laboratory-based research experience
- Interdisciplinary academic skills
- Experience with academic publishing
- Lab safety certification is highly desired
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Time Management
- Honesty and Integrity
- Competitive compensation package (annual salary range: 5,000,000-8,000,000 Japanese yen)
- Bonuses and revenue share based on division growth and performance
- 20 days paid time off per year
- Autonomy to implement ideas that have a significant impact
- 40 hours/week, flexible schedule
- Must be available for meetings during business hours (10 am - 7 pm JST)
The above information is a public job ad. This job ad is neither an offer nor a contract.
© 2021 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.
GaijinPot and CareerEngine are trademarks of GPlusMedia Inc. and part of the Fujisankei Communications Group.