JOB DESCRIPTION FOR CONSULAR ASSISTANT
While maintaining the highest standard of professionalism required for greeting all guests to an embassy and consulate, the Consular Assistant shall assist with consular duties, providing support to the Consul with his processing and forwarding of documents. This support will include but not be limited to:
General Administrative Assistant Duties
1. Answering phone calls, transferring calls, and taking messages on the multi-line telephone network in a professional and effective manner;
2. Receiving and handling all visitors to the Embassy at the reception desk;
3. Only allowing visitors onto the property with proper permission to enter the Embassy and following clearance systems;
4. Keeping visitors’ list updated and coordinating with the guard box when applicable;
5. Keeping organized records of past visitors to the Embassy so that the records can be referenced when necessary;
6. Taking notes when speaking to the Ambassador and filing key information transferred properly for future reference;
7. Translating documents and relevant sections of manuals when necessary;
8. Collecting all of the Embassy’s incoming mailings and distributing them to the proper sections;
9. Working with the Ambassador's office and other sections when necessary on distribution of materials/mailing and shipping issues;
10. Coordinating with relevant parties, inside and outside the Embassy, over the schedule of the Consular office, and working with the PR section to make sure that the public is aware of changes to the schedule;
11. Supplying application forms to applicants and making sure, in coordination with the Public Relations Officer, that the Web site has the most up-to-date forms available; helping applicants to fill in forms in English free of charge;
12. Collecting applicants’ passports, photos, and application forms and reporting to Consular;
13. Working in support of the consul to assigned; process, and record all consular documents and certificates;
14. Informing applicants when visas are ready for pickup; returning passports to applicants upon pickup;
15. Presenting a professional, clean appearance both personally and in the areas that visitors see;
16. When the drivers are not available, preparing and serving tea to diplomat’s guests and removing empty cups after guests leave;
17. Accomplishing all assignments in a timely manner so that the Ambassador can be updated on the progress of ongoing assignments through diplomats;
18. Assisting with Embassy events when requested;
19. Presenting a professional and clean appearance and work environment;
20. Assisting with back office and administrative procedural duties.
21. Work begins at 09:00 and ends at 17:00 unless otherwise arranged.
22. Lunch is to begin at 12:00 and end at 13:00 unless other arrangements are agreed to; when taking lunch, you are requested to ensure that at least one other person is available to answer phone calls.
23. As the Embassy of Afghanistan is a highly multi-cultural environment, it is requested that staff work to continuously improve their cultural awareness and operate professionally and appropriately within that context.
24. While this document serves as a list of responsibilities that are regular, help for other assignments necessary for new challenges or opportunities may be asked.
25. This list of duties is subject to change.
© 2019 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.