K. International School Tokyo (KIST) is seeking a bilingual (Japanese/English) administrative assistant for the 2019-2020 academic year to join its secondary school office to assist members of the administration team with clerical and logistical matters, while also being available to assist IB coordinators and other area faculty with translation and interpretation (English/Japanese and Japanese/English).
The position requires native Japanese skills in all areas (speaking, listening, reading and writing) together with advanced skills in English, and is especially suited to Japanese nationals such as returnees who have appropriate English proficiency. Only candidates able to compose written communications in Japanese to a native level that do not require checking or proofreading should apply.
The main objectives of the administrative assistant include:
- Supporting the administration team in creating an efficient office environment.
- Contributing to maintaining effective channels of communication.
- Providing organizational and logistical support to ensure smooth daily operations.
Some of the specific responsibilities include:
- Translating written communications (English/Japanese and Japanese/English).
- Maintaining electronic and paper-based records.
- Scheduling appointments, taking minutes at meetings, and liaising with courier companies.
- Coordinating orders and distribution of consumables.
- Liaising with families regarding school area-related administrative issues.
- Providing interpretation at meetings, information sessions, parent conferences etc.
- Responding to telephone, e-mail and personal inquiries related to the school area.
- Assisting with the running of area events and activities.
- Performing general word processing, data input and clerical work (e.g. filing, photocopying).
- Performing student supervisory tasks (e.g. playground duty).
- Performing other duties as requested.
Applications will be accepted from persons from any national background; however, native-level fluency in Japanese with advanced skills in English are essential. Applicants should have strong interpersonal and communication skills and a proven capacity to work collaboratively with colleagues. In addition, applicants should have a genuine interest in children and should be patient and flexible. IT skills are also essential. For non-Japanese nationals, applicants with an appropriate visa (e.g. permanent resident, spouse or child of Japanese national, long-term resident) are preferred; however, visa sponsorship is available for eligible candidates.
This is a local hire position. Applications will only be accepted from persons currently living in Japan or with firm plans to relocate to Japan by early July. Relocation and housing allowances are not provided.
The initial contract period commences in late July 2019 and continues through early July 2020. Only applicants prepared to commit to this period should apply. An opportunity for annual contract renewal may be provided depending on appraised work performance and school needs
Working hours are from 8:00 to 5:00 with 60 minutes total break time, Monday through Friday. A number of Saturdays are also scheduled as mandatory work days throughout the year for annual school events (working hours may vary). Attendance at a number of evening events during the year may also be required.
In addition to the monthly salary, other benefits include:
- Reimbursement for commuter expenses incurred up to a maximum of 40,000 yen per month.
- Annual paid leave (as allocated by the school during school vacation periods).
- Annual personal leave (available after the initial three months).
- Special summer vacation leave of 4 weeks.
- Health insurance and unemployment insurance available.
- Meals subsidy.
Applications should contain:
1) A cover letter in Japanese and English outlining experience related to the position and explaining the specific aspects of KIST that interest you.
2) A complete work resume in Japanese and English, including details of qualifications and relevant experience.
3) Contact details (e-mail preferred) for at least two recent professional references, including most recent supervisors.
4) A recent photograph.
5) Details of visa status and expiry (for non-Japanese nationals).
© 2019 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.