Science Technician/Laboratory Assistant
Job Title: Science Technician/Lab Assistant
Reporting to: Faculty Leader
Support the practical and technical aspects of the Science curriculum by preparing, providing, maintaining, organizing and managing the resources required for healthy, safe and secure, exciting practical activities to be carried out by staff and students.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Making up solutions.
• Constructing, modifying and assembling apparatus.
• Delivering equipment to labs and collecting, checking and returning equipment to stores.
• Taking care of laboratory equipment and apparatus, including maintenance and repair.
• General laboratory cleaning (bench surfaces and fixed equipment including sinks).
• Organising, storing and stocktaking and ordering of chemicals and equipment.
• Disposing of waste materials.
• Caring for plants and/or animals.
• Discussing and trialling practical activities with teachers if necessary.
• Carrying out risk assessments for technician activities.
• Providing technical support to experienced and trainee teachers including health & safety guidance.
• Providing technical support to students / pupils including health & safety guidance.
• Assisting in practical classes.
• To develop the support for students with EAL needs across all subject areas within the faculty with guidance from teachers.
• Photocopying and laminating teaching resources required by Science teaching staff.
• Ensuring all teaching and practical resources required by teaching staff are delivered on time with the correct numbers.
• Ensuring the delivery of practical and teaching resources for extra-curricular activities such as field trips and science clubs.
• Carrying out and maintaining a high standard of display in the Science department.
• Keeping up to date with developments in practical science.
• Keeping up to date with health & safety requirements.
• Carrying out health & safety checks on laboratories, prep rooms and stores.
• Carrying out safety checks, which may include electrical equipment, fume cupboards, first-aid kits, pressure vessels and the condition of Bunsen burner tubing, eye protection, glassware, and chemicals that deteriorate.
• Participate in Faculty and whole school trips, including residential trips.
• To act as a Co-Tutor.
• Other tasks to support Science teachers in promoting learning for students
Other reasonable requests made by the Head of Secondary School
© 2020 GPlusMedia Inc. All Rights Reserved.